domingo, outubro 7

Intro

Well...here is the thing: I am a Portuguese undergraduated student and a big fan of Fado. Some time ago I went to Belgium to attend a 3-month trainning in Pharmaceutical Technology; it was my first time out of my country and there I could really feel what "saudade" is all about. I missed very much the sea and the sun, the food (the olive oil! and the coffee! very much...ouf!) and of course what I missed the most: the easy going and relaxed way of living of the portuguese people! Thank God I took my laptop loaded with some of my favourite fado songs...I will never forget the emotion I felt everytime , specially in those last days of July (that unforgetable July...), I listened to Mariza singing "Há uma música do Povo"/There is a song of People...I couldnt contain myself; It is wonderful to have this "remedy" for the soul immediately available and with no side effects (but a pair of swollen eyes, if it´s the case, ahah). Aaaaanyway I always ended up feeling better. Relieved!! What more can a People ask for? We are privileged! This is an unique heritage and my will to share it with the world grew a lot during my stay abroad. My pride about Fado fills up my heart like a balloon that is about to burst! Some say you have to be portuguese to understand what Fado really means; and in certain way it is true. But, like I´ve read somewhere "music is what feelings sound like" so...you just have to be human to let Fado touch your spirit. Let yourself go and be embraced by the sound of the portuguese guitar and the spectacular voices of the singers; I promise you won´t regret this journey through the warm sea of "Saudade". This is how it´s gonna be. Welcome to my blog dear friends!***

1 comentário:

Unknown disse...

Dear Regina,

Hello, again! I was surprised to discover that you had responded to my comment, and so quickly. I was also pleased by it, not least because you said that you had to search for the password to reaccess blogger, etc. It means a lot to me that you wanted to read my comment. Your effort has been noted, and I thank you very much for it.

I have been thinking about your blogs. Although it appears that you are not writing much recently, you have still put a massive amount of content into "Fado..." and "Castanho & Verde". I could neither read nor absorb it in a short period, so I have decided to start at this first posting and move chronologically as often as I can. Maybe that way I will see a progression in your thoughts and discoveries. And I will try to comment on the posts and let you know my thoughts.

For example, I noticed that you wrote about Mariza's having been on David Letterman and at Carnegie Hall in autumn of 2007. I have seen Mariza ao vivo on two occasions, both in the same small theatre in Virginia. She was magnificent! Her two concerts are still the best two shows I have seen in my life. And the second time I saw her was the very night before her appearance on Letterman's show. What do you think of that? How interesting it is to discover another person's similar opinions on topics that I am so passionate about! :)

I am curious about you, too. Are you still a student or have you finished at the university? Did you, at one point, attend the Universidade de Coimbra? (Your profile lists you as residing in Coimbra.) I sometimes have vague fanstasies of being able to study there; it is such a historic, prestigious university. Also, what is your reason for writing in English? (You write very well.) I am glad you do, of course, since I can read it easily. I do hope, however, to read "C&V" and improve my Portuguese a bit, too.

Okay, this is a long comment. But I will close by saying that Mariza is my favorite, too. (Of course I also love Amália, and Maria Ana Bobone has a lovely voice, as does Ana Moura, though their voices are quite different. And I find the music of Dulce Pontes and Madredeus to be interesting in its creativity and distinct instrumentation.)

Well. Thank you for this little gem: "Music is what feelings sound like". I absolutely agree, and I will carry this thought with me happily as I go about each day.

I hope to hear back from you. Até logo!

Peter