sexta-feira, outubro 12

Universal Language

Understanding the lyrics of Fado would be like putting a cherry in the top of the cake! They are beautiful, of course, but so intimately related to “being Portuguese”, to a whole collective imaginary, a legacy of meanings, that translating is often a dull and deceiving task. We all know a word is not just a word: it has a value inside of each culture.

So, after this, enough of words! I will leave you with the most important Portuguese guitarist of all times: gentleman Carlos Paredes. He called this song “Discurso” (Speech) to show that the guitar can talk by itself. And this sonority is soooo Portuguese; it is the basis of Fado. I believe that for the beginners in this “fado issues” this should be the first composer to listen (making your ears used to this remarkable sounds).

Hope you like it.

In the introduction we hear some words in portuguese; It is Paredes himself saying something like “ I don´t like public speeches; after them always comes a punishment, a reprimand, a hard critic [for something that we said and it was wrong]. This is the reason I shall use the guitar to say my “Discurso”.

He ends his "played speech" with the funny words "And I´ve said it!"

And here is one of my favourite ballads performed by Carlos Paredes : "Verdes anos" or "Tender Years ", for you! :)

Listen carefully and feel privileged

There is so much to tell about this fascinating man and the Portuguese guitar...And I will!

***

Sem comentários: