segunda-feira, novembro 5

Primavera: reason for the Grammy 1

Primavera / Spring

Lyrics by David Mourão Ferreira

Music by Pedro Rodrigues


All the love that seized us

As if made of wax it was

Was broken and undone

Ah, fatal spring! [funesta Primavera!]

How I wish,

how we wish

To have died that day


And condemned I was

To have weeping living with me

To live, to live, to live, to live

To live and without you

Living and not, however,

Forgetting that enchantment

That day

I lost


The dry bread of solitude

It's the only thing we get

The only thing to be fed on

What matters if the heart

Says yes or says no

If it keeps on living


All the love that seized us

Was broken, was undone

In fear was converted


Let no one speak of spring

How I wish,

how we wish

To have died that day

(...)

Simply outstanding!

2 comentários:

Anónimo disse...

I'm sorry, but I don't speak Portuguese!

I'm a writer living in Toronto, Canada, working on a story about Columbus' first voyage to the Americas. I've recently come across some reading on the history of the fado, and am curious if you think this style of music would have been sung on his ships?

I look forward to hearing your opinion!

Thanks,
Nicole

Atlantico Ocidental disse...

There are several theories about the origins of fado. Being a sad song of sorrow and loss, I would not be surprised that the Portuguese historical heritage of the discoveries (where everything was found and everything was lost) would have its contribution. But there are other important contributions such as the arabic heritage and the african influence.

There seems to be however a fair amount of consensus that the style of fado as we hear it today comes from 19th century Lisbon where the poor, the outcast and the underprivileged sadly voiced their laments.

Here is a summary: http://www.lisbon-guide.info/about/fado

And a good source on the country's history and traditions: http://www.amazon.com/Portuguese-Modern-History-Barry-Hatton/dp/1566568447